Average Read Time: 5 minutes
Blogging is a great way to get your business known, but if you don’t have a real strategy behind it, a blog could have a detrimental effect on your online presence; this is why you need a strategy behind your blog.
Keeping a blog may look pretty easy if it’s something you’ve never done before; relaxed in tone, fun, and taking many different forms, blogging seems the most casual way to get your name out there on Social media.
But, in reality, blogging is so much more than the occasional post on Facebook or Twitter and, used in the right way, a blog can very quickly become an essential part of your business’ marketing activity.
So, here are some reasons why we think you need a strategy behind your blog…
- Enable consistency: keeping a blog you hardly ever update or update sporadically is actually really damaging to all sorts of things, especially your reputation; forming a strategy allows you to be consistent, and to post regularly with minimal effort. New, regular content is also great for things like SEO, which gets you found on Google.
- Foster existing customer relationships: if you post every once in a blue moon, whenever you feel like it, your audience won’t ever really know when the best time to visit your blog is, and they’ll probably get tired of checking. Creating a strategy allows you to work out the best times to post, and stick to it; your customers will then know that 11am on a Tuesday, for example, is when new blogs are always published, and keep returning to engage.
- Streamline your Social Media process: if you know when new blogs are meant to be published, you can plan your Social Media posts accordingly, saving you time and energy creating material from scratch, and scrabbling around for content during quieter periods.
- Reach out to influencers and guest bloggers: if you know what you’re going to be writing about for the next 3 – 6 months, you can reach out to influencers and guest bloggers for really interesting content; helping you to reach new audiences, increase your profile, and present you as an expert in your field.
- Coincide with important events & days: a strategy allows you to think ahead, which means that if your business is attending any important events throughout the year, or there are any important days that can be used to raise awareness on Social Media – like #CharityTuesday on Twitter if you run a charity, or National Apprentice Week if you run any apprentice schemes – you can use these to create really relevant content, to push your brand out there in an effective way.
- Reach out to trade press and specialist publications: if you know what your content is likely to be over the next few months, you can not only tailor it to specific events and days of interest, but also to specialist publications and trade press – be active rather than reactive – and never be afraid to be the first to publish an opinion on something relevant and topical.
Final thoughts on why you need a strategy behind your blog
Blogs are a really effective way to do all sorts of things, like improve your ranking on Google, improve your customer engagement and Social Media following, and increase the value of your brand.
And the best thing about blogs? They’re versatile, so can also form the basis of lots of other lovely marketing activity, too.
Our best advice to you on blogging would be; take the time to sit down and thoroughly plan what you want to blog about, and how you plan to use the material. That way, you can get the most out of every piece of content you create.
If you’d like support with creating an effective strategy for your blog, give us a call or email us today.